[olug] USB Boot and Install

Christopher R. White cwhite99 at charter.net
Tue Dec 20 20:42:00 UTC 2005

I just traded a 128 MB PC100 SODIMM for  a used IBM Thinkpad X21 system
from a friend who could not get an OS installed to it!  Pretty good
trade in my opinion!  It's EXTREMELY SMALL - 'bout the size of my old
12" PowerBook and loaded with nifty features like a light above the
screen that shines down on the keyboard for low light use!  Plus I love
the little mouse stick gadget!

The machine has a 700 mhz PIII M processor, some kind of ATI video on a
2x agp w/ 4M of VRAM, 128 MB of PC100 onboard and 1 RAM slot available
(empty), onboard 10/100 and 56k modem mini-pci card, CF slot, 1 type II
PCMCIA, but it has no HD, no CD-ROM and no Floppy.

Basically, I want to pickup a 10 or 20 gig HD (MUST be low profile) and
use this as an extremely portable mobile linux machine, but I cannot
figure out how to boot this laptop!  Quick google found that booting via
USB is an option, but I cannot get my thumbdrive w/ Damn Small Linux to
boot this machine.  If I could get something booted, I would like to
install to HD once I pick one up.

Also, I'm looking for a HD for this machine, anybody got anything
available - maybe some more RAM too since I just traded my last stick!

Contact me off-list if you have a HD or RAM for sale or trade to work
out shipping / pickup.

Chris from Kearney