[olug] Linux Networking Problems

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Tue Dec 20 05:03:18 UTC 2005

You can check samba connectivity with
smbclient -L IPADDRESS

Printing shouldnt be that hard with samba & cups.

If suse has swat enabled you can setup samba shares/workgroup by
connecting to your machine with a browser
http://localhost:901

If you cannot connect, change 'disable=yes' to 'disable=no' in
/etc/xinetd.d/swat and restart xinetd '/etc/init.d/xinetd stop'
'/etc/init.d/xinetd start'

You can access the cups configuration via a browser http://localhost:631
again, if you cannot access cups check /etc/xinetd.d/cups-lpd for
'disable=no' and restart xinetd

use 'ping' to check local network connectivity, check your default gw
'netstat -nr'

example:
#netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination  Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.0.0  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0    0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0      192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0

also verify your netmask, and make sure your nameservers are correct in
/etc/resolv.conf

Internet connectivity= IP, Gateway, Netmask, resolv.conf