[olug] perl cpan problem

thelarsons3 at cox.net thelarsons3 at cox.net
Wed Sep 22 18:11:14 UTC 2004

Maybe there are some Perl gurus lurking...

I was trying to install XML and RSS modules from CPAN.  This didn't work correctly, but the procedure suggested upgrading CPAN and installing the libnet bundle.  OK, fine.  When these didn't work either because of an "out of memory" error, I started looking closer by running top.

While the process is running, it slowly uses more and more RAM until all physical memory (80 MB) on the system is exhausted, then it dies.  I have 192 MB of swap that is barely touched - about 8 MB in use when Perl starts, still the same when it dies.

Using Perl 5.6.1.  Any ideas or random thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim & Alethea