[olug] Library software request

Cale Lewis dlazlo at fbx.com
Wed Oct 20 23:15:48 UTC 2004

I believe there are a couple that were writen for BeOS if you don't mind a
non-*nix. It's still free and the OSS version is gaining ground. Might be
ready in the next few month, and since it's source and almost completely
binary compatable you won't have to hunt for software. The extensible
attributes in the filesystem and live queries at near lightspeed mean you can
save the hasstle of loading a database app for most things.It would just slow
things down and not work near as good. Multimedia handleing would also be
very handy to have.

I tried promoting it in libraries once with some support from Be Inc. and a
few software developers and companies, but it was too late in the game for Be
Inc to do much. They'd already taken quite a pummeling in  the marketplace
from M$ bigwig "courtesy calls" to each and every OEM that showed interest in
selling systems preloaded with BeOS. The only two that had any kind of nerve
(barely) were Prius and Fujitsu I think, and even though BeOS was preloaded,
no mention was made in the documentation other than a filecard sizedpiecethat
told you how to make a boot floppy so you could access what was already on
the machine, and M$ made sure there was NO mention, not even a hint, that
came up at boot time or any other time that referenced BeOS ever!!!

It is very hard to get notice when you can't get an OEM of any size to sell
hardware with your system preloaded since most folks would never think of
buying, much less installing another OS in those days. Linux is damn lucky
that things have finnally started to change for the better.

 Most folks I know that have tried BeOS for even a week or 2 suddenly find
they waste incredible amounts of time staring at Windows little hourglass
(BeOS doesn't even have one! 8^)) and have to reboot everytime they turn
around. Hmmm, maybe there's a reason Gates went to such lengths and
threatened to pull so many licenses to keep BeOS off the screens of new
systems.

I sincerely hope that  with  Haiku's  open source implimentation of the BeOS
way  of doing things, that most Linux and *BSD developer and supporters will
at least take a good look at it and consider if it might not be such a bad
idea to have a choice of systems that handle certain areas and tasks
extremely well while also working well with other OS'es, rather then try to
shoehorn everything under the sun into one or 2 systems. Diversity is
healthy. BeOS users have seen how bad the 800 lb gorrila's social skills and
ethics were and still are when it comes to sharing and playing with others.

They (Be Inc.) were a small company that M$ could target, not scattered and
hard to pin down and sue, threaten, buy, bully, etc like Linux. Plus they had
the audacity to port their system to Wintel when Steve Jobs wouldn't share
his corner of the playground, which by the way, M$ had so magnanamously let
him keep because it was different hardware and was their essential "token
competition" for any legal matters. If you ever try BeOS, stop and think
about how in Be's slightly less than 10 years it only employed over 100
people for 2 of those, yet managed to create an SMP  hardware platform (uses
up to 8 cpu's out of the box) on 2 different proccesors and a  solid base for
the OS to run on them from scratch. Along the way they managed to build  in a
64 bit journaled filesystem AND port it to x86.

I KNOW why Gates was  targeting it, it was TOO good to compete with if it
ever got a break. Buy it or Kill it! SOP at M$. Only it's not dead yet, and
could be a potent ally for Linux in any computing environment. The right tool
for the job, not a Swiss Army Knife to repair your car and flip your
pancakes.

Cale Lewis