[olug] Library software request

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Wed Oct 20 23:28:24 UTC 2004

<quote who="Ryan Stille">
> I am looking for some software to run a small library.  Could be an X app,
> or a web based application.  I haven't had much luck with my searches so
> far. Searching for linux and library returns a lot of results about
> "libraries" as in .so and such.
>
> The only one I've found is "Simple Library" at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/library/.  I plan to try it out, but it
> doesn't look too promising.
>
> If anyone knows of anything I would appriciate a name or link.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ryan

two that I have looked into:
Bookcrossing.com
mediachest.com

There is also a 'library in a box' that the Library of Congress sells, but
IMHO way too expensive for what you are looking for.

What specific capabilities are you looking for? Any incidents that
prompted you to investigate this sort of solution?

Note: from the IT manager of a Library for two more weeks, who knows
enough about Library Information Systems or Integrated Library Systems.
BTW the opinions expressed here in no way reflect the position or opinions
of my employer ;)

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson