[olug] gentoo/debian equivalent to 'checkproc'

Adam Lassek adam.lassek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 23:44:52 UTC 2004

Checkproc is available in Gentoo portage tree as part of the killproc package.
Unfortunately, the version in the current ebuild file refers to a file
that no longer exists
on suse's ftp. Here's what you need to do to get killproc installed:

save the follwing as /usr/portage/app-admin/killproc/killproc-1.10.ebuild
(make sure the header is all on one line)

# Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-admin/killproc/killproc-1.10.ebuild,v
1.10 2004/07/23 09:31:40 eradicator Exp $

DESCRIPTION="killproc and assorted tools for boot scripts"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.suse.de/"
SRC_URI="ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/daemons/init/${P}.tar.gz"

LICENSE="GPL-2"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="x86 ppc sparc amd64"
IUSE=""

DEPEND="virtual/libc
	>=sys-apps/sed-4"

src_unpack() {
	unpack ${A}
	cd ${S}
	sed -i \
		-e "s:-O2:${CFLAGS}:" \
		-e "s:-m486::" \
		Makefile || die "sed failed"
}

src_compile() {
	make || die
}

src_install() {
	into /
	dosbin checkproc startproc killproc || die
	into /usr
	doman *.8
	dodoc README *.lsm
}

Run the follwing command:
ebuild /usr/portage/app-admin/killproc/killproc-1.10.ebuild digest

Now add the following line into /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
=app-admin/killproc-1.12-r2

running 'emerge killproc' should now work.