[olug] Linux Lab Setup

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 05:28:24 UTC 2004

I need to configure a few linux machines on a network
in a lab-like setting.  What I have is a many-users to
few-computers type of a relationship.  The next time a
user logs in may not be the machine he used for the
previous session.

These are my requirements:

1) A centralized user id/password/enviornment etc.
management system.

2) The ability for a user's home directory to
auto-mount at login.

3) The ability for the user environment (printer etc)
to follow user from login to login.

Is LDAP necessary for this, or would this be as simple
as setting up a server with user home directories and
an X server, with the X clients connecting remotely?

Would just kiosk-type workstations with no logins and
local restrictions be easier to setup and maintain?

These machines will run OpenOffice.org.  In the near
future, they may also access the Web.

-=Sean Edwards=-