[olug] Upgrading from Suse 9.0 to 9.1

Don Kauffman dekauff at cox.net
Tue Jul 20 16:40:59 UTC 2004

First of all, gnome and evolution were broken. Managed to get Evolution
back by reseting the permissions in /etc/opt/gnome ...... but I'm not
going to do that for everything Gnome. KDE is sort of stable but there
are a few odd glitches . YAST2  is slower that it used to be.

On Ctl-Alt-F10, I get a lot of xsession-errors.

Then I use Maple 9 (math package) and that is broken. Keeps losing the
connection to the kernel and when that's gone it's done. Reinstalled
Maple  and  the same thing happens.

The system is slower and for an Athlon XP 1800 with 256 MB RAM that
tells me something is mis configured.

Like I said earlier I had problems with the ftp install so switched to
the CD install. I suspect that's  where the majority  of the problems
came in.

I appreciate knowing that other people have not had a problem with
upgrading.It kind of narrows the problems down  to what happened when
the ftp install was broken. Means I'll have to spend some "jail time' on
windows over the next couple of weeks until I get a chance to re install
everything.. Sigh!!!

Thanks!

Don K.