[olug] Iptables opening port 8080

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed Jan 21 16:08:04 UTC 2004

Quoting Martin Wolff <mrwolff at bigred.unl.edu>:

> I am trying to setup iptables to allow connections on port 8080, for an
> apache webserver, but I can't seem to get the rule I need correct.
> I tried
>
> iptables -A INPUT --p tcp --destination-port 8080 -j ACCEPT

I know they say not to do it, but I always edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables
directly. In doing so, I can use the other lines therein as a reference for how
to open new holes. I just opened 8080 on my server a few days ago by adding
this line to /etc/sysconfig/iptables:

-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080 --syn -j ACCEPT

After adding that line and saving the file, I ran "service iptables restart"
from the command line and 8080 was opened up. Obviously, you'll have to take a
look at your iptables config file because the names for the chains are probably
different.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com