[olug] Iptables opening port 8080

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Jan 21 15:10:48 UTC 2004

Martin wrote:
> I am trying to setup iptables to allow connections on port 8080, for an
> apache webserver, but I can't seem to get the rule I need correct.
> I tried
>
> iptables -A INPUT --p tcp --destination-port 8080 -j ACCEPT
>
> and Fedora is ok with that command, but it still doesn't seem to let
> anything through.  Is that the correct command?
> Are there other commands that I must run in addition to that?
>
> If that is the wrong command and I should remove it, I can simply enter
> that
> again but with a -D, correct?

Can you try turning off the IPTables firewall (/etc/init.d/iptables stop)
and try hitting port 8080 and see if you get to the web page as expected?

If that works, then issue the command '/sbin/iptables -L -n' and see what
"chains" are in use.  My Fedora installation has all traffic that come in
to the "INPUT" chain automatically redirected to the "RH-Firewall-1-INPUT"
chain.  My guess is that the first line of the "INPUT" chain is
redirecting all traffic to the "RH-Firewall-1-INPUT" chain, and the
packets are never making it to your next entry.

Dan