[olug] dynamic DNS at home

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Wed Feb 18 00:41:33 UTC 2004

My dlink lets me assign ips based on mac addresses using dhcp. Once you
have every machine using the same ip every time just make yourself a
master host file and download it to the other pcs with a batch file on
bootup/crontab/manually when you need it updated. KISS.

Something like this for windows:

dim oServer
dim oFso
dim hosts

set oServer = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0")
set oFso = createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

oServer.open ("GET", "http://ip.of.main.pc/path/to/latest/hosts/file",
false)
oServer.send

hosts = oFso.CreateTextFile("c:\\winnt\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\hosts",
true)
hosts.write(oServer.responseText)
hosts.close()

Adjust as needed, I didn't test it, and you may need to install msxml,
or rewrite it. YMMV

or this for linux:
#!/bin/sh
wget http://ip.of.main.pc/path/to/latest/hosts/file > /etc/hosts

Boy, which one of those is easier to automate?

-- Daniel