[olug] mystifying cable modem problem

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 13:36:57 UTC 2004

Hi all,

So this electrical storm we had last week (Wed. or Thurs.?) apparently takes
out my cable modem's (Toshiba PCX2200) ethernet port.

Cox claims they can still ping my modem.  However, my router nor my Linux box
(when hooked up directly to the modem) can retrieve an IP address.  I borrow my
father's Motorola modem (SB5200? - already set up on Cox's network) and I can
get right on the network.  Ok.  So the modem really must be fried (afterall I
didn't have it plugged into a surge protector).

I procure a Motorola SB4220 from a friend that (as far as he knew) worked.  I
hook it up and call up Cox to tell them the Mac address.  They say I'm good to
go.  Guess what?  Same problem.  They can ping my modem but I still cannot get
an IP address no matter what.  Now what are the odds of running across 2 cable
modems w/a bad ethernet port?  I'm baffled.

For a santify check, I borrow my sister's modem (also registered on Cox's
network) and I'm able to get an IP right off.

Does anyone have any other ideas for determining what the problem is or what
might be causing it?  Or am I on track and just need to buy a new modem?

And while I'm on the topic, does anyone have an extra cable modem lying around
that they'd like to let go for a reasonable price?

Thanks for reading,
Eric Pierce