[olug] Ghost and Linux servers

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Mon Nov 10 00:55:40 UTC 2003

You can use Gzip/Bzip in addition to tar(tar by itself doesnt compress)
i.e.
tar cvfz /mnt/backup/filename.tar *
or
tar cvfj /mnt/backup/filename.bz2 *

This works well for fat32 filesystems ,and while there is capability for
writing to ntfs partitions through linux, but you have to do a chkdsk
afterward usually.

One way to help you be able to fix/support systems, is to setup all
machines with a dual-boot linux/windows, with the filesystem being fat32
on the win side.
Then when the user FUBARs the system, you can call in and have them select
Linux from the boot menu, ssh into the machine, restore it, and then let
them reboot..............