[olug] Hacking Linux Exposed or Real World Linux Security?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Jan 7 08:20:00 UTC 2003

wow, those sound like my kinda books!  we must talk at the installfest.
hrrmmm... though I haven't really read either of them, I would go with the
"Hacking Linux Exposed" since theres some awesome authors, its got some
history, and from when i last read a review on it-- it looked pretty kewl.
 I picked up teh "real world linux security" book the other day in barnes
and noble, and wasn't too impressed - though I only gave it a flip
through.  I think it was smaller than I expected.

I would suggest spending a little bit of one afternoon or evening there
and flip through the books yourself and get a feel for them... see which
one appeals to you more of course.

If you get a moment, I might also suggest "Linux System Security" since
it's a nice sturdy hardback, and I've found the previous version of it
pretty informative.

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/idg4geav96/ss/1?qs=linux+system+security

http://isbn.nu/0130470112/price/2.html

peace
Brian

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 00:54:07 -0600
Daniel Pfile <daniel at pfile.net> wrote:

|I got a borders gift card for christmas, and since I haven't bought any
|linux books in years (between man pages, google, and source code I
|haven't needed any) so I figured I'd pick one of these up. After
|reading the /. review, I'm wondering if anybody out there has read
|them. I'd like some input from a 'experienced' point of view, not
|really a unix newbie view. I understand basic firewall concepts, IDS,
|chroot, suid, buffer overflows, checksum audits and on and on and on.
|I've read many rfcs, and lots of code, but I'd like to know more. To
|fill out any missing points I guess.
|
|It's been a while since I've spent any amount of time around anybody
|with 'real' security skills. Script kiddies who ask me for shells don't
|count. One of my security friends died of a heart attack, another got
|too busy finishing his phd and we lost touch, another is in jail (long
|story), another died from poisoning (related to the one in jail, very
|very long story), so I'm lacking in mentors with a clue.
|
|Anyway, my experience with the 'exposed' books has always been they're
|lots of fluff and no good info. However, I'm finding mention that this
|one is actually a good book, maybe better than the real world linux
|security book. Right now Hacking Linux Exposed is winning. I'll
|probably stop by borders tomorrow and see if they have the latest
|editions of both to flip through.
|
|So any thoughts? Here are some links if you'd like to know what I'm
|talking about:
|
|slashdot review of real world linux security:
|http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/12/17/0234224&tid=172
|
|amazon page for real world linux security:
|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130464562
|
|another review of real world linux security:
|http://www.net-security.org/review.php?id=17
|
|hacking linux exposed homepage:
|http://www.hackinglinuxexposed.com/books/
|
|amazon page for hacking linux exposed
|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072225645
|
|review on first edition of HLE:
|http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=1235/urm0105n/0105n.htm
|
|Oh, and does anybody want to be my guru mentor? There's a 75% chance
|you'll end up in jail or dead, and a 25% chance you'll move on to great
|things. :)

|-- Daniel

|OLUG mailing list
|OLUG at olug.org

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart