[olug] Installing software under /usr/local

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Fri Feb 28 15:19:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Dave Burchell wrote:

> I feel bad about promulgating the (admittedly trivial) flame war, so I'm
> going to ask a legit question.
>
> Let's say I have a fine Linux box and most of my software has come
> to me as RPMs or .deb files.  But, I need to pick up the sources
> for a more recent version of some software, and I want to install it
> under "/usr/local".  Let's say I want the latest version of The GIMP.
> Should I install it under a directory I create called "/usr/local/gimp"
> or should I put The Gimp's libs under "/usr/local/lib", the executable
> under "/usr/local/bin", and so on?
>
> I've always leaned towards putting all the files under
> their own directory, then adding those that I want to my path
> (PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/gimp/bin).  That way I can keep the software
> versions straight, but it can be inconvenient when adding new users to the
> system and lead to a long path.

Ah - excellent methodology. And reflects well the way I prefer to play
with files. And so:

1: Make sure you use an actual physical partition
	(eg: /dev/hda2 mounted on /usr/local)
2: Then the joys of symlink are availible to behold.

For example - I have a collection of software which I appreciate using but
that has no erason to be in the global path. Thus I have a directory under
said partition mount (fe: /usr/local/mgmbin) with symlinks to all the
relevant usefullbinaries within it. I then merely add that single
directory to my executable path upon login. FWIW - I also chown/chmod the
directory appropriately so that I may keep my script collection within...

> Comments?  Opinions?
>
> --
> Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
> Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619
> http://incolor.inetnebr.com/burchell/                  burchell at acm.org

Of course I do not use prepackaged programs in any way, shape, or form.
And thus usually will not discuss usage of such prepackaged software.

YimVee.

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street