[olug] Logging

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 26 23:43:30 UTC 2003

Have you ever read an e-mail on the olug list,
disregared it, then a week later something calls you
attention back to it, and you have to go back to the
archives to read it again?

This happened to me when I was talking to a co-worker,
who does alot of admin. work on Oracle servers.  This
guy, a person who has been in the computer field along
time, logs everything, any reboot or upgrade in a
notebook.

The reason I bring this up cause I remember Mozilla
Yet No Java thread,
http://lists.olug.org/pipermail/olug/2003-February/001886.html,
and fellow OLUGER, Robert A. Jacobs replied and said
he logged his attempt of installing a java plugin for
Mozilla.  I never though of doing this until I saw the
co-worker and Robert's reply.

My question is, how many on the list go thru this much
detail of logging by hand into a file or notebook,
when they install a new or remove a package,
application crash, or anything else?

I can see this as be a great practice and gives you a
trail to follow if you need to troublshoot, but part
of me thinks this is way to anal and is it worth the
trouble?

-Chris

=====
Winning an argument on the internet is like getting 1st place at the Special Olympics