[olug] Specking out Sun Solaris box(es)

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Mon Feb 17 22:10:15 UTC 2003

One thing to always keep in mind when building specs for a DB box: don't
skimp on disk i/o.

It sounds obvious but I've seen a lot of people overlook it for some
strange reason.  Extra CPUs cost a lot of money, and jump Oracle license
costs up at an alarming rate.  Extra disk I/O doesn't seem to cost near
as much as jumping up the CPU count because it doesn't up the ridiculous
per-CPU Oracle license costs.

I always shoot for 3 separate I/O chains for Oracle database boxes.  By
I/O chain I mean separate controller, separate disk, separate cabling,
and if possible separate PCI bus.  One chain for database data, one
chain for database indexes, and the remaining chain to handle all O/S
partitions and also Oracle redo logging.

Nick Walter

P.S. Avoid RAID-5 like the plague if performance matters.