[olug] Specking out Sun Solaris box(es)

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox..net
Mon Feb 17 03:29:21 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 February 2003 16:10, Nick Walter wrote:
> One thing to always keep in mind when building specs for a DB box: don't
> skimp on disk i/o.

Amen.  I run medium sized OLTP and batch Informix databases for a living.
I've been in a position where I'm I/O bound far more often than CPU
bound.

I agree with everything else Nick says about licensing and raid5 too.

Irish, I'm not at all familiar with performance analysis on NT, but have you
been able to tell if your bottleneck is more CPU or I/O?  That might help
you allocate scarce dollars.   Good Luck!

Blue