[olug] Ethernet Auto-negotiation and Duplexing on Linux

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Aug 8 23:15:42 UTC 2003

> I like ethertool as well and it allowed me to set the parameters for one of
> these machines.  However, the machine on the other end is an older RH distro
> version and ethertool just reports it cannot do anything (even with the Intel
> card).

Ethtool is a newer program and not many ethernet drivers support it,
especially systems one running 2.4.17 or older, or a 2.2.x or older,
kernel.

For the older system you would need mii-tool.

> doing it manually....
>
> insmod eepro100.o debug=1 options=0x20
>
> With redhat kudzu configured the driver.  init level 3 network script
> loads the driver if it isnt loaded already.  I am not sure how to pass
> the parameters on to the driver when it loads.  edit
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/SXXnetwork perhaps or somewhere else?

Could be.  Under RH 7.2 you could put that line in /etc/rc.modules and
hope it doesn't screw with kudzu.

You'd be better off putting

ethtool -s <interface> speed 10 duplex full

in /etc/rc.local

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us