[olug] Real opportunity for getting Open Source into theEnterprise

Matthew Platte plattem at inetnebr.com
Wed Nov 27 05:17:13 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 08:24 PM, J.R. Wessels wrote:

> I can (almost) guarantee that other stations around the US would be
> interested.

Who at the stations is interested, though? The techies or the PHB's
[obligatory Dilbert reference]?

I've been on both sides of the "Here's a new, better database"
presentation, mostly on the buyer's side as the techie. As I'm sure you
all know, the decision (not) to buy the product is based on a number of
issues both rational and irrational, and one of the toughest is meeting
the comfort level the Boss requires with the humans that will
install/program/maintain the system. She will ask questions like,
"who's gonna fix the database when the magic smoke leaks out of the
server two years down the road?"

My guess is that without a well-defined support and maintenance
organization, the Boss will say, "thanks, but we require a bit more..."

Would OLUG -- or a subset of OLUG -- be willing and able to make a
long-term commitment to provide the deliverables? How would we organize
and represent ourselves? Corporation, co-operative, workers collective,
or principled band of independent geeks? Who wants to carry the cell
phone?

Personally, I think it would be way cool for OLUG to do this thing, and
I'd be willing to carry the cell phone at least part of the time. I
live a little over a mile from NET World Headquarters.

--
Matthew D. McCain Platte