[olug] Real opportunity for getting Open Source into theEnterprise

J.R. Wessels jwessels at cse.unl.edu
Wed Nov 27 02:24:04 UTC 2002

I'm also working at NET, coworker with Bill in fact.  Anyhow,
Postgres would be the best bet from what I see.  It would open up the
door from other possiblities with the database once the data was
freed from some convuluted system that it is now.

I can (almost) guarantee that other stations around the US would be
interested.  I've gone to two PBS conferences in the past two years,
which occurs a few days before the NAB conference in Las Vegas.  The
company that does the product is not very well liked (that's an
understatement if I ever heard one) in the broadcasting industry -
but there are so few players in the field there isn't much choice in
the matter.

Also, while I was at the conference, many stations expressed a great
interest in Linux for security and general server use.  The big
hurdle for them though was their staff was trained in M$ and not
altneratives.  But, with a membership system offered that would
change in a heartbeat.

I can help a little on the side - and getting input from the users
that use the current system with Bill's help.