[olug] linux web server management ?

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Dec 20 22:30:33 UTC 2002

You know this kind of attitude is what will relegate Linux to a geek toy.

How about these for reasons someone wouldn't wouldn't want to go with the
"easy" Windows XP:   Cost,  old hardware, you don't want software that runs
home to mama every time something is done,  don't want to spend 100's of
dollars just to get e-mail.

There's another type of Linux user that might want an easy to use flavor of
Linux.  The business IT professional.  Like me.  Learning Linux isn't what
I get paid for, yet I would like to use it.  Therefore I need it to allow
me to do my work right out of the box.  When it will do that I will adopt
it and never look back at Windows.  However, I do not have the time or
inclination to spend 100's of hours learning everything about Linux.  I'm
not a programmer, I don't want to be a programmer, and I don't think I
should have to be one to use something other than Windows.

Applying this attitude to something else that ubiquitous (the car) and you
would be saying that if you don't know how the internal combustion engine
works, and how timing curves, compression ratios, cam shaft profiles, and
fuel metering work, then you shouldn't be driving.  That's just bullshit.
It's being elitist.  "I'm cool because I know all this, and if you don't
want to go through all the pain I went through then you are a luser"  I
know a lot about computers, construction, cars, among many other things,
but I don't presume to think that everyone should desire this knowledge.

If the OSS community truly wants to offer something to Joe User then this
kind of attitude cannot be part of it.  Don't scorn people for not wanting
to learn every technical detail of their computers.  They don't care HOW
they work, they just want them to do what they need them to, the more
painless this happens, the better.  Seriously, there are a LOT of people
out there that don't know how computers work but they know a lot of things
you and I, as computer people will never come close to comprehending.  They
should be able to use something better than Windoze without being made to
feel worthless by the people who do know how computers work.

I'm sorry about this rant, but this really made me angry.  It's
thoughtless, inconsiderate, and all-too prevalent in the Linux community.

Bill

                      >"Aaron W
                      DeLashmutt"              To:       "'Brian Wiese'" <bwiese at cotse.com>
                      <adelash at cox.net>        cc:       <OLUG at olug.org>
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: Re: [olug] linux web server management ?
                      olug-admin at olug.o
                      rg

                      >12/18/2002 05:33
                      PM