[olug] urpmi

Adam Haeder adamh at omaha.org
Tue Aug 27 16:51:48 UTC 2002

As far as automatically updating your linux boxes, I've been using
AutoUpdate
(http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/index.html). It's a
perl script that will hit an ftp or http server of your choice and
download new rpms and install them. Very small and very configurable.

I've designated one box as the ftp server where I keep all the new
packages for the various linux boxes I manage. When an advisory comes out,
I download the updated package to the ftp server, and then let the boxes
update themselves (when the program 'autodld' runs overnight through cron)
or I can manually run it from each box to upgrade asap.

If you have a linux box that you want all the new updates installed
automatically (like WinXP), just install autoupdate and make your
/etc/autoupdate.d/redhat.dld look like this:

Host=mirror.cs.wisc.edu
DldAll=0
FTPRetry=2
FTPWait=10
DldRecurse=0
Passive=1
Dir=/pub/mirrors/linux/redhat/updates/#DistVersion#/en/os/

Of course this assumes you use RedHat, and you want to use
mirror.cs.wisc.edu as your ftp server (it's a fast mirror, but it's always
a few weeks behind the main redhat updates site in new packages).

Then create a symlink in /etc/cron.daily to the autodld program

# cd /etc/cron.daily
# ln -s /usr/sbin/autodld

Then just leave your box on all the time :-). You can manually run the
update by running 'autodld' as root. This will update everything except
your kernel. Enjoy.

--
Adam Haeder
Technical Coordinator, AIM Institute