[olug] urpmi

BuzB buzb at cox.net
Mon Aug 26 18:57:43 UTC 2002

I'm running Mdk 8.2, only way I update/install packages!  As the link says, it
works like "apt-get" (which I've never used).  Provided one has the source(s)
identified correctly, it works beautifully.

When I decided to upgrade my MDK 8.2 from KDE 2.2.2 to 3.0.2, I downloaded the
rpm's from KDE, put them in their own subdirectory (/tmp/kde3), then added
that subdirectory as a media source (urpmi.addmedia file://tmp/kde3).  The
last step was simply to issue the command "urpmi *.rpm" (as root and from the
tmp/kde3 subdir).  URPMI solved all the dependancy issues, by either asking
for the install media (i.e., Disk 1, 2, or 3), or it went to predefined ftp
media sources that were set up in rpmdrake.

If URPMI still failed because it couldn't find the packages it needed, it will
list them.  From there I just went to rpmfind.net and downloaded the missing
RPM's, placing them in the /tmp/kde3 directory, then reissued the urpmi *.rpm
command.

Now if somebody could please tell me if Redhat 7.3 (with KDE 3.0.3), has the
same type of easy package updater/installer?

Keep in mind though, I only use URPMI for installing new packages that I've
downloaded.  To keep the current OS and other items updated, I use rpmdrake
(which is a gui front-end for URPMI), and just in the last two weeks I
started using Mandrake Online for updates.  It works much like the RedHat
up2date, which automagically updates your OS after hours.

BuzB

On Sunday 25 August 2002 12:08 pm, CM Miller enlightened us with: