[olug] Exim / SpamAssassin / Cyrus

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Aug 10 17:02:14 UTC 2002

Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
 > That sounds very, close to what I'm doing: SA 2.31 + Cyrus 2.0.16-5 +
 > Exim 4.05  It's been a bear(SA/Exim Transports) because of my
 > currently limited experience.   I've got Cyrus/Exim running no prob
 > but I can't seem to hammer out how to get SA in the mix.

It's very easy.

This is the router I'm using here at home; SpamAssassin 2.20 + Exim
4.05/4.10 + Courier-IMAP (wrapped for long lines):

# Spam Assassin
spamcheck_router:
   no_verify
   check_local_user
   # When to scan a message :
   #   -   it isn't already flagged as spam
   #   -   it isn't already scanned
   condition = "${if and { {!def:h_X-Spam-Flag:} {!eq \
            ${received_protocol}{spam-scanned}}} {1}{0}}"
   driver = accept
   transport = spamcheck

And this is the transport, also wrapped for long lines:

# Spam Assassin
spamcheck:
   driver = pipe
   command = /usr/exim/bin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS
   use_bsmtp = true
   transport_filter = /usr/bin/spamc
   home_directory = "/tmp"
   current_directory = "/tmp"
   # must use a privileged user to set $received_protocol on the way back
   # in!
   user = mail
   group = mail
   log_output = true
   return_fail_output = true
   return_path_add = false
   message_prefix =
   message_suffix =

Don't forget to things like "command =", "user =" and "group =" to be
consistent for your mail server, otherwise things will break
spectacularly. :)

Oh, and don't fret much about the fact that I'm using Courier-IMAP
rather than Cyrus for the 2 stanzas above; in the grand scheme of things
it's not gonna make one iota of a difference.

 > Have you seen Exim-SA?

Yes

 > (http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html)  I keep reading about it
 > and was toying with the idea of trying it out.

If I checked all messages for "spamminess" at SMTP time my lusers would
drag me out and hang me.

I run SpamAssassin at delivery time so that I can have it only scan for
spam for certain users.

 > What distro are you using for the OS?

Debian Linux, of course :)

Phil