[OLUG] Modem

Adam Korab adam at ledhazard.net
Mon Jun 12 01:28:59 UTC 2000

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 12:20:38AM -0500, Daniel Pfile wrote:
> a 56k connection, which is 56k down to you, and 33.6 up to the isp,
> relies on there being a digital connection between the isp and the phone
> company. when you dialed to your computer, you didn't have that digital
> connection, so you didn't see a fast connect... you got the max an
> analog connect could do, which is 33.6. if you wanted to have a dialup
> pool that would support 56k, you would need to get a digital connection
> from the phone company, and probobly a term server. The isp i used to
> work at had a term server with a set of t1s (instead of normal phone
> lines) for dialup going to the telco. When the user called us, their
> call would come in over the t1s, and into our term server's usr modems.

It should be noted that these are channelized T1's that have 24 channels
-- 23 64kbps channels for dialup, and one 16kbps control channel.  It's
possible that your ISP is also using BRI or PRI ISDN circuits for 56k
access.

A good site with all sorts of stuff about this is http://www.56k.com.
You might also look at http://www.808hi.com.

--Adam
| ThisemailbroughttoyoubyJOLTcola,favored   |                        |
| bysysadmins,netadminsandprogrammers       |   adam at ledhazard.net   |
| everywhere.JOLTcola--forallthesugarand    |                        |
| twicethecaffeine.(R)                      |                        |