[olug] @home scans

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Tue Jul 11 01:44:09 UTC 2000

mesc wrote:

> about the scans.Although it drops any ip that scans me into hosts.deny
> and I never hear from that ip again,like it's supposed to do.Why it
> hasn't done this  with the @home ip I don't know but I hope to find out
> :)
>
>         Thank you all again,Gary Martin

Keep in mind that the hosts.deny file only applies to daemons running
through tcp_wrappers (tcpd).  That's (usually) only the ones started by
inetd.conf.  To see which I'm talking about do this:  grep tcpd
/etc/inetd.conf   So, even if someone is listed as ALL: ALL in
hosts.deny, it dosen't prevent them from exploiting a vulnerability in
vncserver, running on tcp port 5900 (just an example).  If you are
really concerned, you should setup an ipchains firewall/ip filter to
protect yourself.