[olug] @home scans

Marc Davis mwdib at home.com
Tue Jul 11 01:56:29 UTC 2000

According to Cox, who I've talked to One Too Many Times, the frequency
of scan on a particular subnet depends on the frequency of complaints
regarding that subnet.  This is their explanation of why my friend on
Cox gets scanned once a week or so, and why I get scanned about every
four hours, day in & day out.

For a while, I've just been saving up the portsentry alerts and sending
abuse a Great Big E-mail (1 or 2 mb) every once in a while.  They've
never responded to that.

In their "defense," such as it is, I've never caught them scanning
anything but port 119 which does jibe with their commitment made over
the Usenet Death Penalty.  I've heard stories about them scanning for
web servers. etc., but have no evidence that's so outside of a few news
stories originating in California.

I find it irritating, though, and wish I could just stop them from doing
it -- or do something equally irritating back.

Marc

--
Marc Davis
	mwdib at home.com			[general]