[olug] Debian Install

Nathan Brown tbrownarcher at home.com
Wed Dec 20 23:17:36 UTC 2000

Mike McNally wrote:

> Now that I think about it, on my last debian install I had
> irq problems that resulted in eth0 problems.  Being lazy, my
> solution was to roll a kernel taking out sound support.
> Naturally I first tried a few attempts at making it work but
> eventually instead of doing the research to figure out how
> to resolve this problem, I just shut off the sound and then
> eth0 worked fine.  Maybe that will help.
>
> If you shut off the sound first and see if that corrects the
> eth0 problem, then you'll know that it was an irq thing, and
> will know which way to proceed.
>
> note: I have done other debian installs on this box that got
> eth0 and sound both working without deress, but the potato
> appears to need some irq wrangling which I don't have time for
> right now.
>
> re install
> --------------
> In reading the debian user list, oh yeah you should join that
> list -> http://www.debian.org (from there you can go to the list
> archive or info on subscribing), I saw several folks advise doing
> the simple install and then adding nothing or almost nothing
> using the dselect program that comes up.  I disagree.  Here's
> why: the debian install program does an excellant job of configuring
> apps windows mangrs, programs, devices etc.  If you don't get the
> stuff you are definately going to want added, in the mix, before you
> reboot then the install program won't work it's magic on this
> stuff.  That's a mistake.
>
> So you need to let the tool work for you, but you must be certain
> that your additions are not creating strange conflict problems.
> That's the key, and in the deselect part of the install you will
> be directed to a conflicts screen as conflicts arise.  You must
> read the help page on what is being described on this conflicts
> screen and carefully back out of any conflict situation before you
> hose up stuff that was just fine until you created a conflict.  And
> it's not as simple as just saying ok, so I'll not add this.  Nope,
> once you try to add something with conflicts it mucks up a whole
> bunch or other stuff and backing out of the mess is ...well it's
> easy if you carefully read the help screens.
>
> Do use the simple install method as that makes sure the basics are
> added without your having to know every driver you need.
>
> nasdaq rolling over, breaking this am's low...  head fake or crash?
> place your bets
> --
>
> Mike McNally            mmcnally3 at prodigy.net

Im' not sure what the simple install is .... What I have actually
accomplished is to get a very very marginal Debian on my system ... no
man pages no help pages other things are missing.  Lots of other things
..... I tried to get more but cannot get dselect or apt to go and
actually get on the debian site.  I would like to knwo the debian IP #
maybe i'm just not doin the DNS right .... I can ping Other IP #'s so i
know my system is at least partially working ...

Thanks
Nate