[olug] cox at home setup

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Sat Aug 19 22:44:56 UTC 2000

> Right,
> Using dhcp on the external interface would be easier if it worked.  I
> tried using pump to get the IP for my IP-Masq box from the Cox dhcp server
> but it wouldn't work.  Eventually, I just gave up and went with static IP.
> Does anyone know why pump doesn't work with Cox's dhcp server?  I just
> assumed they were using a broken implementation of DHCP.

imo pump is broken for dhcp use.  It doesn't:
 * allow the hostname to be sent in the dhcp request
 * allow some pieces of info to be overridden
 * allow an arbitrary script to run to do stuff like dynamic dns or update
   /etc/resolv.conf or update /etc/hosts or ...

If you need a bootp client then pump is probably what you're looking for.

What @home requires to work is the correct hostname (ie cx340599-a or
cx613323-a) to be sent in the DHCP request.  If the hostname isn't there
you're not going to get a response (i think.  you definitely need the
hostname to get a good response).  I use dhclient (an excellent dhcp
client shipped with ISC's dhcp server software) with good results.

It should be in the dhcp rpm on the RedHat rpm (or the package dhcp-client
for those Debian users among us :)

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein