[OLUG] Computer Sale & Next Meeting Info

mrmyster mrmyster at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 23:29:21 UTC 2000

--- "Paul T. McNally" <nally at radiks.net> wrote:
> mrmyster wrote:
>
> > FWIW i'm running mklinux pre-R1 on my 7100/66 as a
> > dial in server.  its not much use if you're trying
> > to do anything X-ish but makes a fine little
> server.
> >
> > its pretty much what the mklinux site is run off
> of
> >
> > the only real advantage in this case that the 7200
> > has is that it uses a PCI bus instead of nubus and
> > can run linuxppc (which tends to have newer
> kernels
> > available).  its system bus might be a bit quicker
> > too.
>
> That's right 7200's are pci. In my opinion pci and
> linuxppc are well worth getting over nubus and
> mklinux. Just my own experience. MkLinux is a
> microkernel. You first boot into the MacOS, then
> boot into mklinux. There are enough differences
> between the 2 distribs, I prefer LinuxPPC.

i'm no authority on all the ins and outs of it, but
the current kernel is really old.  we're at a
'variant' of the 2.0.37 family.  not to knock the
developers or anything, but the newer ones do add
more services.  linuxppc (which i've just ordered
for my 7500) is on at least a 2.2.x kernel

for someone like me who is, so far, allergic to kernel
compiling, that tends to leave things out.  NAT is
done via ipfwadm rather than ip masq, etc.

> PCI
> is superior to nubus. You can always upgrade a
> PCI machine with a faster G3 processor and gain
> most of the benefits from the speed increase.

keep in mind the 7200 is NOT daughtercarded like the
other PCI macs.  the 7500's, 7600's, etc all have the
processor and backside cache on an easily swapped
daughtercard.  my 7500 is running on a g3/400 as
opposed to its original 601/100

not sure what slot you stick a processor upgrade into
for the 7200, but they don't usually get the
performance
boost of the others.

FWIW there *are* g3 cards for the nubus macs, but they
tend to suffer from the same slowdowns as the 7200's
from what i've read

if you're REALLY wanting to go with something
upgradable
you need to go with one a little higher in the food
chain

> Looks like a G3 400MHz processor runs for @$400.
> One could probably get a used one for a fraction
> of that (if anybody sees a used G3 or G4 card
> let me know and I can upgrade my 9600/200).

oooohhhh....
THAT'S a keeper.  all those bays and slots

excuse me.  gotta go wipe my chin off
:-)

michael