[OLUG] Red Hat 6.1 PPP Problems

Brian Roberson brian at bstc.net
Tue Dec 28 03:58:52 UTC 1999

looks like alltel is using chap , not pap. You will need to setup your
config to allow for this, pppd knows about chap, but needs to be configured
properly. e.g. It will startup ppp, THEN authenticate with a
challenge-response type method. you will need to setup your ppp connection
to use chap, if you use `netcfg` ( The redhat gui config ) there is an
option to use chap instead of pap, I dont know if kppp has this option or
not.

Brian Z wrote:

> OLUG Members,
>
> I'm having trouble configuring the RH 6.1 PPP to connect to Alltel.  I
> didn't have any problems in RH 6.  I've tried using the Network
> Configuration, Red Hat's PPP dialup program, and KDEPPP.  When setting
> up Red Hat's program, here are the options I used:
>
> Name Alltel
> Phone 3674468
> UID: myuid
> Password: mypasswd
> Normal ISP
>
> Then I debugged the connection.  Here is the log:
> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.40
> Initializing modem.
> Sending: ATZ
> ATZ
>
> OK
> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
>
> OK
> Modem initialized.
> Sending: ATDT 3674468
> Waiting for carrier.