[olug] Home bandwidth monitoring

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Feb 24 21:29:38 CST 2018

Here is my first stab at a script to do something basic I wrote tonight.

https://github.com/dglinder/NetBWMon

Basically start it running on a system and it starts sniffing the network
port (I'm going to make a network tap for my RPi and put it on a common
link).  It then dumps the stats of conversations to a text file for later
processing.  I also need to prepend the time on each line to make
daily/hourly reports easier.

It's a start, though I'm really surprised I didn't find anything that did
this pre-existing.  Everything I found was for monitoring the bandwidth on
the single server it was running on.

DanL

--
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)