[olug] anyone know how to fix the bootloader on EFI systems?

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Thu Mar 9 10:32:24 CST 2017

No luck yet, and for the sake of my blood pressure I'm setting the
matter aside for now.

Some things I have tried and the roadblocks I have encountered:

1)    Various instructions say to run grub2-install ... I think this is
the root of the problem, you SHOULDN'T run grub2-install on an EFI
system.  Apparently, on EFI the MBR doesn't change from kernel version
to kernel version (or distro version to distro version), it's allegedly
smart enough to find the appropriate bootloader.  That's where I screwed
things up I think, I changed the MBR.

2)    The fix is supposed to be reinstalling the package grub2-efi,
which will fix the MBR.  But that would require booting to normal Linux;
I did once or twice but I can't now.  If I can somehow get the thing to
boot normally just once more I can sort this out.

3)    grub rescue options, like setting "prefix" and "root" ... haven't
found options that work.

4)    I've tried making Super Grub2 bootable drives but I can't manage
to make one that actually boots.  I'm using a Windows 7 machine to try
to build them, shut up I have my reasons.  :-)

Using the Fedora installation media I can at least get at the file
system, mount drives, and so forth.  All the user data has been copied
off and that makes the thought of a full reinstallation more palatable,
but I still feel like there should be some way to fix this mess.

I also feel like EFI shouldn't make this such a fearsome process. It
ought to be something that can be fixed simply, and I feel like I'm
almost there, it's just that one step.