[olug] Guess Speaker at IWCC

Jared Bernard jared.bernard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 08:39:11 CST 2016

I teach a Linux Essentials course at IWCC. Would anyone be will to come and
speak to my class?

I'm looking for someone who can come and speak about their job,
particularly if it involves Linux. Describe what you do on a daily basis,
what skills are needed (both technical and soft skills), etc. Basically,
talk to the class about what you wish you were told about working in the
industry when you were in college.

Some of the things the students struggle comprehending is:
1) Linux is a real thing and the industry uses it. Most students have a
hard time thinking beyond their laptop workstation and gaming.
2) What does a system admin, dev ops, network admin, etc actually do? Many
students don't know what it really means to work in IT.

I'm hoping if they hear from someone in the industry, that it will
reinforce what I've been telling them and help better prepare them for a
career.

I have 2 classes on Tuesday/Thursday 1:30 and 3 pm. Just looking for
someone (or more than one) to speak for about 10-20 mins in one or both
classes.

Anyone interested?

Jared Bernard