[olug] Local Data Recovery

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Nov 3 13:18:28 CDT 2016

If the sticker-shock gets to you, then I'd try the ddrescue+refrigerator
idea first as Aaron suggested.

But, I'm not certain this will work - the "No OS ... will detect/mount the
drive" sounds more like electronics.  Could be heat related, but I'm more
suspecting a failed chip or something.

Good luck!
Dan

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Ben Watson <bwatson1979 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've performed things like you described on my personal failed hard drives,
> however since this is not my data I'm hesitant to do such things as it
> could make the situation even worse.  Thanks for the tips.
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Aaron Grothe <ajgrothe at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I've had a similar problem in the past.   My solution was to put the
> drive
> > in a plastic bag in the freezer overnight and then hitting it against the
> > counter to put the innards back in sync.  Worked long enough to run
> > ddrescue and to get my data off the drive.
> > Good luck.
> >

> >     On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:01 PM, Ben Watson <
> > bwatson1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >  Question:
> >
> > Does anyone on the list have any recommendations for a local(ish) data
> > recovery company that can pull data from a damaged HDD?
> >
> > Background:
> >
> > My friend/colleague informed me he could no longer access his 2nd HDD in
> > his machine (his "data drive").  I brought it home and powered it on and
> > heard (from what I've researched) the "click of death" sound.  You can
> > definitely hear the armature repeatedly trying to park itself.  No OS
> > (Windows or Linux) will detect/mount the drive.
> >
> > In an attempt to cheaply recover the data myself, we purchased two donor
> > drives from eBay, hoping that the controller board was the issue and
> that a
> > swap might save the day.  They are nearly identical to the damaged drive:
> > same make/model, same site manufacturing code, and similar firmware
> codes.
> >
> > I verified the donor drives were in good working order, then one-by-one
> > tried swapping the controller boards only to hear the same "click of
> > death".  Thus, I suspect this to be a mechanical problem and I lack the
> > environment ("clean room") and knowledge to crack the case open and
> proceed
> > further.
> >
> > Conclusion:
> >
> > Please recommend a local(ish) company you have had a positive experience
> > with first/second hand.  +1 if you can recall pricing, turn-around time,
> > etc.
> >
> > Respectfully,
> >
> > Ben

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
  you must first invent the universe."
  -- Carl Sagan

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)