[olug] I seem to have an Omaha Cox Residential IPV6 address

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Mon Mar 21 16:12:42 CDT 2016

Lou Duchez <lou at paprikash.com> writes:

> IPv6 Prefix Translation! I think that's what I'm looking for.
> Wikipedia says it's still an experimental specification, though, so
> I'm not sure we can count on it yet -- but I'm glad The Smart People
> Who Take Care Of This Stuff are at least aware of the issue.

Linux already has an implementation.

The big issue is that this is almost exclusviely a concern for
businesses that are too small to run BGP and large enough to have
multiple upstreams.  So if you try to run an end-to-end protocol that is
affected complaining to a software company about something not working
likely won't result in a high priority on supporting even prefix NAT
in IPv6.  Of course most things work with prefix nat without
modification, so that may not be a bad risk.

Eric