[olug] High traffic from firewall?

Ben Hollingsworth obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Dec 23 10:10:12 CST 2016

There isn't any DSL/cable modem.  It's a linux firewall hooked directly
to the the WiMAX radio.  I already tried sniffing the packets from my
firewall, but it was mostly https.

When I got home last night, I rebooted the firewall.  All the https
traffic to just a few Windstream static IP's stopped, but it was
replaced by a bunch of DNS traffic to countless different IP's.  The
volume of traffic didn't change, oddly; it stayed steady at just over 5
Mbps up.  Sometime around 4am, my son started downloading a bunch of
Steam games.  When that finished around 8am, all the unexpected traffic
stopped.  No, Steam wasn't running prior to 4am.  It's been working fine
so far the last couple hours with no unusual traffic.

I'm gonna keep a close eye on it this weekend.  I've already downloaded
the latest Ubuntu Server ISO (at work), so I'm ready to go if I do end
up rebuilding the firewall this weekend.  Not really how I wanted to
spend my 3.5-day Christmas weekend. Besides obligatory family stuff,
I've got a barn that isn't going to build itself.

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>