[olug] Openstack Guru

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:27:18 CST 2016

​
​Dan, ​
I am jealous I did not get to go to RHEL summit.
​
Normally, i have no business interest in
​ maintaining my own​
cloud computing
​ infrastructure​
because i am not interested in hosting multiple tenants.  The only business
case would be ease of disaster recovery via a mix of public vs private
cloud. openStack would in theory provide a single interface to our private
VM infrastructure, but also any of those VMs
​could be
​
move
​d​
to a cloud hypervisor provider.
​  But i have to wonder will openStack stick around?​

Is there any one entity responsible for openStack nowadays?  Molding
openStack? RedHat? RackSpace? NASA?  Whois OpenStack
​says it ​
is based in Austin, TX, but RackSpace is in San Antoni
​o​
and NASA is in Houston.

HP offered free machine time years ago
​ to the public​
and now HPe
​telephoned
 wondering if i am interested in using their HP Helion cloud.  Confused,  i
responded that news headlines said HPe discontinued Helion and laid off the
Seattle office dedicated entirely to openStack development - maybe 200
employees.    She fessed up that she was a marketing contractor, but there
is certainly
​ still​
a website for HP cloud hosting.
​  ​

Maybe HPe decided they could compete better by letting openStack stay a
little oblique
​, but i hope the team is transferred to SuSE.

Cisco abandoned its openStack based cloud initiative.