[olug] Fedora 24 - 25 update report

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Sun Dec 4 07:34:31 CST 2016

Smooth as a whistle on multiple computers.  The instructions I use:

---

# these commands make your system as ready as possible for the upgrade,
by taking care of all the preliminary measures and then rebooting
dnf update
rpm --import
/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-[NEWVERSIONNUMBER]-$(uname -i)
dnf clean all
reboot

# upgrade the system, install the boot loader (twice), and then reboot
dnf --releasever=[NEWVERSIONNUMBER] --setopt=deltarpm=false
--allowerasing distro-sync
/usr/sbin/grub2-install [BOOTDEVICE]
/usr/sbin/grub2-install [BOOTDEVICE]
reboot

---

You can determine [BOOTDEVICE] by running:

df | grep "\/boot$"

And if it comes back with, say, "/dev/sdc1", the boot device is "/dev/sdc".

You might ask why I do the grub2-install twice.  It's possibly
superstition, but there are times when either a single grub2-install
didn't "take", or (more likely) I mistyped the command or simply forgot
to do the command at all.  Either way, rebooting Fedora with an
out-of-date grub is asking for trouble; you won't regret running the
command twice just to make sure.