[olug] 40K limit on images

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Apr 20 09:26:28 CDT 2016

On another mailing list I manage (lightly) we have raised the limit to 250K
- well below the 1.5-2MB size that most smartphones capture, but sufficient
if you need to attach a photo.

One idea I floated by the host support line is automatically stripping the
attachments, replacing them with a URL and hosting them on our website.
That way we have control over how much we keep, plus people can feel free
to attach lots of photos and the server only has to send the smaller URL
enhanced email.  Since the list provider is separate from the website I'll
probably have to write some glue code or create a directory for them to
write into with a user/password combo or ssh keys (still working out the
details).

Is this something we can look into with the OLUG mailing list system?

Just a thought...
Dan

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Justin Reiners <justin at hotlinesinc.com>
wrote:

> sorry!
>
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Jon Larsen <jon at jonlarsen.us> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Just a reminder that the OLUG list has a limit of 40K for messages.  When
> > you attach images, you're maxing out the message limit, which can delay
> > your posts as I cannot always peruse each message waiting for approval
> > every day.
> >
> > Maybe post a link to the image?
> >
> > Jon L.
> >

> --
>
> [image: Hotlines Inc] <http://www.partshotlines.com>
>
> Justin Reiners / System Administrator
> 800.308.9712/ justin at hotlinesinc.com <Justin at HotlinesInc.com>
>
> Hotlines Inc Office: 800.807.2867 / Fax: 800.211.0843
> 427 E. Kanesville Blvd. Suite 403, Council Bluffs, IA 51503
> http://www.partshotlines.com

"If a problem has no solution, it may not be a problem,
  but a fact - not to be solved, but to be coped with
  over time." - Shimon Peres

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)