[olug] using dd to clone a drive

Tom Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Sun Apr 17 22:43:13 CDT 2016

I tried to use dd to clone a 1 GB drive to another 1 GB drive. I had
been getting warnings of "many bad sectors" on the one I was trying to
copy from. When I ran the command, there was no error message, but I
could not tell if anything was happening. How long should this process
take? Will the bad sectors prevent the copying from being able to
complete the process? I did see some conditional commands about errors,
but I was not sure if this would do what is needed to clone the image.

I am using a live disk with ubuntu 14.04, to execute the process in a
terminal. This is a 32bit machine that I am working on and the first try
did not show that anything was done after 10 to 12 hours. I started in
the early evening an let it run over night.

Any ideas and information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom Williamson