[olug] Weather stations for Techies

Jon Larsen jon at jonlarsen.us
Tue Sep 8 14:27:08 CDT 2015

Jeff -

I am using an Ambient Weather WS-1090 (as listed in the G+ post).  I paid
about $100 for it a few years ago.

I'm using pywws to upload the data to Openweathermap and Weather
Underground, not paying either service.  I messed with Openweathermap for
some time, but finally got an account on Weather Underground.  A much more
pleasant experience.  pywws will allow you to configure several services to
upload at the same time.

Here is a link to the WU feed:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNEOMAHA145

Since we moved a couple times in 2014/2015, the weather station wasn't
permanently mounted until July of this year.

Here is a pic of the station mounted.  It's not a close-up, but you get the
idea.
https://goo.gl/photos/MXLpGuPVJD4Y2oki7

If I was to get a newer weather station, I'd get one of the solar
powered/ip based units from Ambient.  The Ws-1090 is good as a inexpensive
weather station, maybe use it for a few years to get used to it, then
upgrade.  We did have hail take out the wind speed gauge, but I was able to
order a replacement from Ambient.  I use Lithium AA batteries, and they
last for some time, maybe 1.5 years.

Next item on the wish list is to add a weather web cam.

Jon L.