[olug] Linux networking weirdness

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Oct 26 19:53:59 CDT 2015

Except that the firewall was able to talk to my laptop over the external NIC just fine.

Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth, www.Jedi.com
Sent from my Ting Samsung Galaxy Note® II

Where you've replaced cables and the laptop was able to communicate (albeit
with a new MAC), that's what jumps to my mind.

Dan

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I'll inspect those ARP requests.
>
> I did put the firewall's IP on my laptop when I hooked it up in place of
> the firewall.  I didn't snoop for ARP traffic then, but since I was able to
> send traffic through that gateway, I have to assume that I got an ARP
> response.
>
> Hard coding a MAC address might get things working for now, but that
> sounds like it's just asking for trouble down the road when my ISP changes
> hardware without telling me and I've forgotten about that hardcoded entry.
> It's worth a shot for debugging purposes, though.
>
> On 10/26/2015 11:58 AM, Matthew G. Marsh wrote:
>

>> If you connect your laptop again & do a TCPdump do you see the ARP
>> answers from the ISP gateway?
>>
>> Then if you put your Servers MAC address on your laptop do you still see
>> the ARP answers?
>>
>> If so maybe look and see what is different between the ARP packets. You
>> can also try hard coding the ISP MAC into your ARP table on the firewall to
>> force the sending. Just use the MAC address given to your laptop.
>>
>> That is what I saw when reading through.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> mgm
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, Obi-Wan wrote:
>>
>> Hey folks,
>>>
>>> My home Internet stopped working suddenly last Friday night, and I'm at
>>> a loss to explain what I'm seeing.  It was an instantaneous failure, not a
>>> slow degradation, and nobody was doing anything on my firewall at the
>>> time.  The kids were just web browsing on their tablets, which is how we
>>> first saw the problem.  If any of you have any suggestions after reading
>>> this entire treatise, I'd love to hear them.  Here's what I think I know:
>>>
>>> Normal setup:  Internet comes wirelessly via a Future Tech radio dish on
>>> my roof.  An ethernet cable (with POE) connects the radio to my firewall,
>>> which is a dedicated Linux server.  Only the POE power injector sits
>>> between the two.  The firewall has a static public IP address on a /25
>>> network that sends traffic to a gateway at my ISP's site.  The firewall
>>> runs IPtables and handles NATting / DNS / DHCP for my home LAN.
>>>
>>> Problem symptoms:
>>>
>>> My LAN (both wired & WiFi) can still reach the firewall from the inside
>>> just fine.  The firewall can no longer reach the ISP's gateway IP or hence
>>> the Internet at large.  TCPdump on the firewall's external NIC shows
>>> repeated unanswered ARP requests for the gateway from my firewall.  I tried
>>> turning off IPtables entirely, but that had no effect on my firewall's
>>> ability to see the outside world.  The firewall's external NIC still shows
>>> link lights and traffic flashing.  I've tried replacing all the short
>>> cables, and the visible portion of the long cable running from my roof to
>>> my basement shows no visible damage.  I've tried powering down &
>>> un/re-plugging all the related equipment, but to no effect.
>>>
>>> The ISP can connect to the rooftop radio from the outside, so that link
> [...]

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)