[olug] New OLUG member - Phil Shapiro (Takoma Park, MD)

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Fri Oct 23 11:34:18 CDT 2015

Hi everyone -

I'm an open source enthusiast who recently joined OLUG. I live a bit out of town (around 1,149 miles),
so I won't be able to make it to all meetings, but I'm going to enjoy participating virtually.

At my day job, I work at a public library in Takoma Park, Maryland, a suburb of Washington DC.
This library has 28 Linux stations available seven days a week. I help the youth and adults use our computer stations.

I also write for MAKE magazine and Opensource.com -- a community resource sponsored by Red Hat.
In my free time I love taking donated computers to people who don't have them. I also like making
YouTube videos of various kinds.

For an upcoming OLUG meeting, maybe someone might want to show multiseat computing using
Fedora or Ubuntu. I'm familiar with multiseat on Fedora -- which is what my place of work uses.

Here's a short video I made that shows multiseat in action. It's pretty miraculous, even though
I've been using this solution for the past ten years at my job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqUzPcwQqjI

I have some extra Plugable devices that I can donate to the user group, which the user group might in turn
want to donate to Do Space, the new digital place opening up in Omaha. It would be sweet to have some
open source solutions set up for the public to see and learn from at Do Space. http://www.dospace.org/

I'm going to be doing some regular remote tech volunteer mentoring for Do Space via Skype or Google Hangouts.

Incidentally, if there are any LUG members interested in volunteering at Do Space, they're looking for a commitment of three hours per week.
The volunteer coordinator there is Cherie Gossett, reachable at volunteer at dospace.org She seems very accessible and open to ideas.
Currently, most of the tech there is Mac and Windows -- but it stands to reason that open source solutions need to be available for the public
to see, use, and try, too.

phil

You can follow Do Space on Twitter at

https://twitter.com/dospaceomaha

And here are some Twitter tips I assembled for MAKE magazine that might be helpful to folks you know.

http://makezine.com/2014/02/14/how-to-follow-smart-people-on-twitter/

I'm admittedly a bit overboard on Twitter, as I drink info and ideas by the gallon, rather than by the cup. That might not be
the right approach for everyone.

Phil Shapiro, pshapiro at his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
http://www.twitter.com/philshapiro