[olug] FreeNAS presentation follow-up

Aric Aasgaard aric at omahax.com
Wed Mar 4 01:28:59 CST 2015

The ZFS LZ4 compression is multi-threaded.

http://freebsdnow.blogspot.com/2013/07/freebsd-92-feature-highlight-zfs-lz4.
html

...The CIFS shares are not multi-threaded but most other stuff is.

You get a boot menu when you boot the system, so if you have a bad update
you can go back.

(this happened to me when I tried a nightly of version 10)

http://omahax.com/img/freenasgrub.png

You can then set what you want active in the web GUI

http://omahax.com/img/freenasguiboot.png

Here are some good howto videos ...on the FreeNAS website.

http://www.freenas.org/about/videos.html

Here is the part of a video that demonstrates adding shared storage to the
Plex plugin jail.  I feel I needed to clarify what I mean when I said, to
mount it to the jail.

http://youtu.be/3DnUWTliaOY?t=6m30s

Here is the link I had in one of my slides that does a good job of
explaining ZFS on FreeNAS (more geared toward home user)

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/slideshow-explaining-vdev-zpool
-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/