[olug] Slow Boot of HPCompaq dc5800 Microtower GX162AV

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 13:20:47 CDT 2015

Those machines have long smart tests built-in to the BIOS for directly
attached drives (not USB).

More importantly, there can be a " RAID | IDE | AHCI " option under
Storage.  i have had to change this before after a successful install and
then it boots up fine.

Do they have vPro stickers / Active Management Tech ?

blkid - prints out UUIDs
lsblk  - prints out a tree of partitions

if you can, copy the partitions you want to a new SSD, then  _blow_ away
all those partitions on the old hdd.
A.) possibly built-in bios functionality.
B.) dban
C>   # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda BS=1MB & pid=$!
       # kill -USR1 $pid; sleep 1;