[olug] [OT/Political] Letter to representative regarding ISPs and "Common Carrier" status.

Noel Leistad noel at metc.net
Fri Jan 23 13:24:20 CST 2015

I'm probably jumping in out of turn, and haven't studied Title II enough
to converse about it.

I DO work for a small communications company, (telephone, internet,
cable TV), nothing on the order of a CLink, Cox, Mediacomm.

What I would suspect is that if the internet were brought under
additional regulation, someone will figure out how to turn that
regulation around and NOT benefit the consumer. Whether that someone is
the carrier, large or small, or the legislator that writes the
regulations, it will be  so convoluted that there's "goody in it" for
someone other than the end user and as end users we'll be frustrated
with the outcome.

An additional thought RE Title II; The US Constitution has been haled as
being able to work even though 225 years have passed since it's initial
writing, I doubt that the writers of Title II were as competent  as the
original framers of that other document. Again, I'm not well versed on
Title II, but I'm suspect any time I hear "We're from the government,
and we're here to help".

On 01/23/2015 12:20 PM, Lou Duchez wrote:
> So long as we agree that, in some disputes, business and the common
> good are at odds, I think we're on the same page.  (This would be an
> example.)
>
> And yeah, I have little use for people who see business as "the
> enemy".  If business is inherently evil then abstain from all its
> poisonous fruits, including the computer or smart phone over which
> you're expressing your opinions.
>
>> On 1/23/2015 11:22 AM, Lou Duchez wrote:
>>> I'm sorry Senator Fischer responded as she did, and even more sorry
>>> that her response was entirely to be expected.  Vote Republican and
>>> you get someone who sides with business over the common good every
>>> single time; deep down we all know this, we just try not to think
>>> about it too hard. Until the common good in question impacts us
>>> directly.
>>
>> Often the side of business IS "the common good". We all like getting
>> our paychecks. Commerce—monetary transactions between people for
>> their mutual benefit, i.e. business—is what makes that possible.
>> Please don't buy into the simplistic "Business Bad! Rich Man Keep You
>> Down!" political rhetoric. I guarantee the real world is much more
>> nuanced than that, and that EVERY side of a political debate ought to
>> have its words and actions scrutinized for motive and ethics.
>>
>> (Don't read this as a defense of Republicans in general or Fischer in
>> particular. I do not consider myself a Republican, nor did I vote for
>> her.)
>>
>> Tim

#  Noel Leistad, CISSP                                #
#  Internet System Administrator                      #
#  Marne & Elk Horn Telephone Co                      #
#  4242 Main Street                                   #
#  Elk Horn IA 51531                                  #
#  noel at metc.net                                      #
#  Please visit our website: http://www.metc.net      #