[olug] Title II status and Google Fiber

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 14:59:22 CST 2015

Google has a data center 15 miles from Omaha. We were once rumored to be
the first city in the country to get Google Fiber, but somehow that didn't
work. Then we were rumored to be a finalist for the 2nd city, 3rd city, etc.

There are rumors that local politics (where city politicians are
financially connected to the 2 entrenched ISPs in town) have kept Google
out of Omaha.

With Title II status becoming official, Google would have access to poles
in Omaha to run fiber without needing a deal from the city.

I would encourage everyone in the city to tweet @GoogleFiber and let Google
know we want competition in Omaha.

-- T. J. Brumfield
"I'm questioning my education