[olug] Advice on SNMP read/write logic

Matthew G. Marsh olug4mgm at paktronix.com
Sat Aug 15 10:14:44 CDT 2015

Depending on what you want to do I can help. FWIW I gave the "Using SNMPv3
to replace TripWire" talk at DefCon X back in '01... Still play regularly
with SNMP (all v3 though...) - give me a holler with a little more info.

I use NetSNMP only for all my work. Some using the Perl interface, some
using scripts. Compiled for PakSecured so YMMV depending on how the distro
compiles the beastie...

If you seriously want to upload/download files then for almost all devices
on the market you will need a TFTP server. Almost every MIB on the market
uses that as the target for a pull/push command. I have one I trigger
through a script that loads/saves Cisco configs for a specialized PakMON
setup.

If you are can obtain the MIB files relevant to your device then once you
have the SNMP working you can walk the entire tree using both the Private
and the MIBII mib spaces. Walk with both the Numeric (ie:
.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0) output AND the OID Translate
(ie: SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0) and save the output to two files. You can
then look in both to see which OID cooresponds to which MIB description
for the device in question. Of course you have to get the Proprietary MIBs
from the vendor to load first - but that is another story...

HTH!

mgm

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015, Charles Bird wrote:

> Oh yeah, I didnt get to the logic part, I'll figure that out eventually
> depending on what I end up using.
>
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Charles Bird <cbird.omaha at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>        Have not been keeping up with nagios, or similar monitoring/control
>> software for quite a while.
>> I have a mixed bag of devices that frustrates me to the point in which I
>> could punch a tree until it turns into toothpicks, webui is inconsistent,
>> and I am left with no choice but to manage via snmp.
>> I'm not really looking for a monitoring solution, I basically would like
>> to have a build plan for deployments, like a csv, load mibs, and write like
>> hell, read like hell to validate, grab lots of beer and giggle myself to
>> tears.
>> I intend on having some vm running on my laptop to do this.
>>
>> Is this something any of you have done before? If so, what software? Pain
>> to setup?
>> Nagios seems a bit much for what I need to do, but might be the best
>> documented choice of mine.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Charles

Matthew G. Marsh